Sunday, November 13, 2016

Chicken Corn Chowder

When I was a little girl, my mama would come back from Red River, New Mexico with this little bag of soup mix. 'Corn Chowder' She would add whatever the bag called for and my little tummy would be stuffed to the max in the end. It was one of my favorites.

I've searched high and low for this soup mix that is as rare as the 'Heart of the Ocean'. So, I made up my own and here are the results.



For the record, I am one of those people that glance at a recipe, get a general idea what's happening, and go from there. These 'measurements' are estimated at best. I think that makes any recipe truly your own.  I am also cooking for a family of six that truly enjoys leftovers. This was a hit in my house. My husband and I raced for the last bowl.

Stockpot
3-5 chicken breasts or thighs (boneless/skinless)
Water
1 can Chicken broth/Bouillon Cubes
5 regular sized Russet Potatoes, peeled and cubed.
1 onion, chopped
4-6 stalks of celery
Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder
Stick of butter
1 can Corn
1 can Carrots
16 oz Half and Half
1 cup Milk
4 oz Cream Cheese
4 oz Sour Cream
8 oz Velvetta Cheese (or something similar-  Chez Wiz)

Take your stock pot and fill half way with water. Add chicken broth or bouillon cubes. Season with pepper, little salt, garlic powder. Add chicken, bring to a boil. When your chicken is cooked. Add your onion, celery, and potatoes. Resume light boil until potatoes are soft. Drain half of the stock. Setting chicken aside. Return to stove. Add your butter, corn, carrots, half and half, cream cheese, sour cream, and Velvetta. Let everything melt, bringing to a simmer. Shred your chicken and return to pan.
Now, depending on how thick or thin you want your liquid, add the milk to your liking. Season to taste and finally, SERVE.

I am 99.9% I have made this sound a million times more difficult than what it is. It is a very simple recipe actually once you get to cooking. You can add or takeaway whatever you deem necessary.

I would absolutely love to hear your thoughts and how YOU made it, so please share.



No comments:

Post a Comment